Sunday, June 29, 2014

EVENTS: Mashable's #SocialMediaDayGensan 2014

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to join this year's Mashable's #SocialMediaDayGensan celebration which was hosted by the SOXBloggers, the Mindanao's Funnest, held at Shakey's Pizza SMCity Gensan.

Without the presence of the SOXBloggers' Mother Hen, the ever fabulous Avel Manansala of GenSantos.Com, the event was spearheaded by Google's Women on Web Coordinator, Ms. Chiclet Rillo.

Some of you might be wondering what the Social Media Day is all about. Is it an event where all you have to is tweet, post on Facebook and IG simultaneously so that the event will be trending. Hmmm.. well, that's part of it! ^_^ But there's more to it than just that. 

What is the Social Media Day?

The Social Media Day was launched by Mashable in 2010 to recognize the digital revolution that has conquered the world right before our very eyes. Every year, thousands of people meet in different countries just to join this global event. 

The official date of the Social Media Day is every June 30. However, just like this year, the event was moved on a Saturday prior to June 30. Well, I guess it does make sense since a people will surely join the celebration if you have it on a weekend rather than on a weekday.

The Official Tarp of #SMDayGensan

  

My GBG NameTag and A Shameless Selfie =P
Our Host, Ms. Cathy Bolodo
#SMDayGensan Lead Chiclet Rillo officially welcomes the participants and opens the event.

The event has featured four (4) speakers that are considered expert in the Social Media field.  They discussed different topics involving the trend of the Social Media and its unbelievable power to influence people, if done in the right way.


1st Speaker: GBG Trainer Alexis Chua

The first topic was the "Trends in Social Media" discussed by GBG Trainer and AUB Banker Alexis Chua. Here are his major points:

* Having and establishing an online presence matters since 97% of internet users look for local goods and services online.
* No matter how small or big your business is, you need to have some online presence either through an FB page or a website.
* Online presence makes people aware of the existence of your business.
* Businesses with online presence are expected to grow by 40% next year.
* Content is still King. - Bill Gates, 1996
* Catch the attention of your audience through your content.


2nd Speaker: Social Media Marketing Guru Morgan Garcera

The second speaker, SMM Guru Morgan Garcera of Morgan Magazine, talked about "How You Can Profit from Social Media". As an online worker, I've always been craving for more knowledge on how to develop my online skills so I was very interested in this topic that I scribbled more than 3 pages of notes. 

According to Sir Morgan, Social Media Marketing's main goal is to promote brand/product awareness.  The sales will come after you have establish a great online presence through the use of Social Media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. It also helps drive behavior in others to make a purchase, click, or "like" your post.

Sir Morgan also discussed the process and workflow of a Social Media Marketer.  From the Creation of Social Media accounts and Profiling of the brand, to the Evaluation, Customer Satisfaction, and Sales.

His discussion was very fruitful to me because I've learned a lot of tips and tricks on how to utilize SMM that I can use in my clients' SM accounts. Yay! I also approached him at the end of the event and told him that I'm very interested to learn more about SMM and if we could meet up one of these days. I'm so glad that he said YES! Another Yay!


3rd Speaker: Marketing Guru & Businessman Oliver Ralph Layco
Ralph Layco: The Man Behind the Success of the Biggest Beach Festival in the Philippines, the SarBayFest! 

Ralph and I are actually acquaintances and I have attended one of his lectures before. Just by listening to him, you can really tell that this man is BORN/MADE FOR MARKETING. He's a marketing genius! 

He discussed the topic "Branding through Social Media" and shared to everyone 5 tips to Rock your Social Media Game Plan like #SarBayFest. I'll probably share those in my next post as it is pretty lengthy.

Oh! He also gave away some cool prizes from Macho Mucho (his salon for men).


Our Speakers. From left: Alexis Chua, Morgan Garcera, Mark Agana of ReShop.com, Gem Tadefa of SoxBloggers, and Host Cathy Bolodo.

I wasn't able to get a photo of the fourth speaker, Mr. Mark Agana, while he was discussing "Advocacy in Social Media" as I attended to an important phone call. I wasn't even able to listen to most of his talk. So sad. But, what I do know is that through his website, ReShop.com, he was able to create a solution to the on-going recycling problem in Metro Manila. The concept of his site is for people to upload photos of the things that they want to get rid of but are still usable so that other people can have it.  Instead of throwing it away, people will be donating the things instead. Cool concept, huh?! 


My notes at the beginning of the lecture.  My handwriting gets worse as I continue to take notes.

Free food.

#SMDayGensan Class Picture


I'm a raffle winner! Yay!
I was also lucky enough to win a tumbler from  SmartLiveMore. Super lucky talaga! Perfect for my juices.


Thanks to GBG Gensan, SOXBloggers, and SmartLiveMore for making this event possible.




0 comments:

Post a Comment